Thursday, May 20, 2010

Cry Baby


If there's one type of movie that inevitably makes me emotional, it's got to be sports movies. I know-cheesy, bad acting, bad scripts, etc. But for some reason, the memories I have of my own athletic history (and my dad being a coach) get at me when I watch sports movies. It doesn't really matter what sports movies...Remember the Titans, Hardball, Glory Road, the Gridiron Gang, Hoosiers...

...if the movie has some lead actor that is trying his hand at comedic atheltics (aka Waterboy)-only tears of frustration and pain exit my eyes. One movie that gets me every time is Coach Carter. I know that it's extremely cheesy, but for some reason, I get so inspired by these flicks. Here's a speech given by one of the inner city players on Coach Carter, right after he's had an ephiphany about the direction of his life, and when he can turn to no one else-he turns to his coach.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small doesn’t serve the world.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear,
our presence automatically liberates others.
Thank you Sir, you saved my life.”

No comments: