Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Andrew: 1, Josh: 4

Last night, my HLP, Marc Herring, got us tickets to Andrew Bird and Josh Ritter at the Knitting Factory. Between the tall, loud bros in the back and the dancing olds obstructing my view, the night proved to be rather eventful. Needless to say, the show was fantastic. Well, let me re-phrase that. Andrew Bird was amazing! Josh Ritter, not so much. I understand that he is a local guy, so he has a large following here, but he was no match for the Bird. But the whole point of this post isn't to discredit Josh Ritter. He is a good guy, that loves playing music. He's very talented. But the guy has got to know when to stop.

This brings me to my first and last point. Encores are worthless. It doesn't matter what the crowd response is...everyone plans an encore, and plays it. Its not like the good ole days of Led Zepplin or Paul Westerberg, where people played when the crowd threatened anarchial breakouts if they didn't. These days, you can stink and you'll still play an encore. What's the point? The anticipation? Josh Ritter played four stinkin' long songs for his encore; whereas, Andrew Bird played one song that he thought up earlier in the day...a heart-felt melody. My goodness, I love Andrew Bird. Next to Connor Oberst...Andrew is the runner-up.

No comments: