Monday, December 15, 2008

"You're afraid of the dark, too, Marv."


Well, if you've been keeping up on my infrequent postings on this blog, you'll know that I have posted a few different times regarding my co-workers. Considering work truly is my life, it's really pretty much all that I have to talk about. But don't worry, I still have an arsenal of random ponderings that will soon surface on this blog again. But for today, I wanted to introduce to you one of our new managers at 589. Her name is Melissa. Now, I decided to start calling her "Mel" thinking that it would be funny (I don't know why), but it wasn't. She didn't even respond to the predictable nickname. Anyway, she is such a breath of fresh air at the 589. Our previous manager had many interpersonal issues, some of which I'd be happy to discuss with you over the phone. Then Melissa stepped in...instant fun.

Melissa hails from Port Orchard. Quite frankly, I don't know one thing about this place except that they had a delayed start of two hours in their school district this morning on the account of snow. Other than that, I know nothing about the joint. I envision it to be a lot like Port Angeles...but I think that's only because they are both port towns. Melissa graduated from WSU with a psychology degree early because she's a brain-iack, or because she got a lot of "extra credit" time with her professors. Who knows really. She brings the most random comments to work, and yet I love them all. Tyler frequently finds himself confused at why we're laughing. Over brunch the other day, we laughed and reminisced about various made-for-Disney-channel movies we'd both watched as youngsters. We also both love the movies Home Alone and Swiss Family Robinson. Oh Roberta. Oh Fritz. Melissa claims to not see movies that everyone else has, but random old movies she knows by heart (All of the Brat Pack movies are included). The other day, we were doing orientation for a group of newbs, and NSync Christmas came on over the sound system, we started singing and laughing at work...then she busted out the Kevin McCallister. Do you remember the scene in Home Alone when he's trying to fool the burglars into thinking that there's a party going on at his house so he's got string attached to his foot and two hands and he's waving them around to "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree"? Well, that's the Kevin McCallister. Try it out...its a great move. Our newbs proceeded to let us know how weird they thought we were. Haha. But we're their bosses, so they can deal. Mel is nortorious for saying things that I haven't heard since I was a youngster in Pomeroy too (i.e. hot bombalottie, ahnah-hellnah, etc.). Cracks me up. I wish you could all know her. You'd probably pee your pants, at least a little if you knew her.

No comments: