Monday, November 23, 2009

Don't Pass the Chuck


Probably my favorite author of this time, could be attributed to none other than Chuck Klosterman. He's written so many books that challenge every aspect of my intellect. Strangely, I first got turned on to his literary genius through a little show known as, the O.C. Seth Cohen was reading, perhaps his most famous book, "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs". I can honestly say, that this book was the first book I have ever read that coaxed genuine laughter out of me. It's a rather strange oddity when you're sitting by yourself, reading, and can't stop laughing. Chuck's satire is unparalleled in my opinion. He has also written books including: "Fargo Rock City: A Heavy Metal Odyssey in Rural North Dakota", "Killing Yourself to Live", "Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas", "Eating the Dinosaur", and the book I'm currently enjoying, "Downtown Owl".

Perhaps it's because I grew up in a town not too different from Owl, North Dakota, or it may be Klosterman's subtle wit and ability to transfix the reader, transporting them into his own world. This is his first published stab at writing a full, fiction novel. I'm not done with it yet, but am enjoying it immensly. I've been so busy re-reading books that have movies coming out this season (i.e. New Moon, the Road, Precious, etc.) Now back to Chuck.

No comments: