Tuesday, August 12, 2008

In a Van, Down by the River


How many of you remember that infamous, comedy sketch from SNL with the tag line, "...in a van down by the river"? Granted, Chris Farley is nothing like today's family member. Unlike Farley's character in this particular sketch, uncle Marc (Herring) is an optimist. He has taken this tagline, that was supposed to increase fear in the hearts of delinquent children, and transformed it into a lifelong dream. Uncle Marc (that guy from Covenant) truly does want to live in a van down by the river...preferably a VW bus. This in an odd way represents Marc to a "T". He is so uncoventional. Granted, his sisters growing up were Auntie Moof and Mom (Sarah Walker)...so its no surprise he marches to a beat of a different drum.
No matter how abnormal Marc is he excels in areas that need abnormality to be special. For instance, Marc remembers statistics from when he was in third grade; he has an incredible nack for remembering numbers. This comes in handy when you need to remember phone numbers, statistics, etc. He also listens extremely well. Which is why I get along with my uncle so well, he listens to me jabber on and on...I get my communication fervor from mom. I'm not sure why, but Uncle Marc is still single. He seems like such great marriage material, but I suppose since his music is such a high priority, it must make things pretty tough. His music is so close to his heart; it expresses him in a dimension that his words don't ever say. Aside from everything, Marc is a very loyal friend as well...just like dad. When I went away for college, I stayed with Uncle Marc. He really is not your typical bachelor. He always keeps a clean house, cooks regularly, and maintains a tip-top lifestyle, except for his shower habits of course. If you don't know my Uncle Marc, you need to. His humor is beyond abnormal...and that's what makes him so funny. His uniqueness makes him a person that you need to have in your life...otherwise, you're just missing out.

3 comments:

marcushackler.com said...

Nice Euli. Very Nice.

Marc also has a blog now - I know... weird.

marcherring.blogspot.com

katie henbest said...

hilarious! this is my favorite family post so far.

Kenrick said...

=[ i miss you guys...

marc herring was that guy that i wasn't that close too yet still, he was like a step brother... and his style pretty much rocked my world.