Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Watering Hole


I think that I have a certain amount of pride now that I'm a post-graduate. Things that use to be kosher are no longer acceptable in my mind. For instance, tipping a server 10% because it's all that you can give them seems hardly appropriate anymore. When you're in college and you have no money, some of these things can slide. But for some odd reason, I don't like being belittled or put in a box. I hate walking into a restaurant with friends and having a server look at us like, "Oh man...this table is hardly worth the time." I have waited tables, and believe me, sometimes you think these things.

But the best way to top it all off is to come in and sit down in a party of five or more. You are acting your usual jovial self, and as the server comes back to take drink orders...one by one you all chime back "just water for me". Some people think that it has the reverse effect if you say "...with lemon", but c'mon now...it's still just water. Now, perhaps this is just my insecurity birthed out of pride, but sometimes I order a drink that I don't really want, just to give a little hope to the server. Is this dumb? Of course it is. But I can't seem to help myself from saying..."I'll take a diet coke."

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Found you! You are such a creeper. Nice picture by the way. Love.