Friday, January 16, 2009

Eat at Mo's


I'm not entirely sure why, but it always baffles me why somethings have lasting power, whereas others can't seem to withstand long at all. For instance, how is it that Lil' Wayne is still heard on every radio station...that man is nasty. Or why is it that after all of the ludacris happenings with Britney and KFed, Britney still manages to go on a sold-out tour and be heard everyday? My stock lead, Alyssa bought a birthday dress, which is kind of ridiculous to me in principle anyway, and it is zebra print with black sequence around the waist and the neck. Why is it that zebra print is lingering in fashion?

When I was a kid, my family and I use to vacation on the Oregon Coast every summer. There's this place called Mo's that has the most amazing clam chowder. Many of the waiters wear these t-shirts with a big shark's mouth on the back and in the frame of the jaw it says, "Bite me". What happened to this slang? I remember it being said all the time, whether it was my friend Brenda slightly upset but not willing to let others know so, or it was Urkel mad that Laura wouldn't go to the dance with him, or Kimmi Gibbler using it as an exit line..."Bite me blondie."

Or what about Freddie Prinze, Jr. Wasn't he a teenage hearthrob? Where'd he go? Could he not make the jump from child star to full-pledged movie star? The last time we saw him was on the Scooby Doo remakes, but let's be honest, we wish those movies weren't made to begin with. But where has this She's All That star fleeted to? It seems to me that if Sean William Scott can continue to get roles, Freddie surely should. Perhaps Freddie is hangin' out with Topher Grace somewhere...kickin' back and gabbin' about American Idol...they've both been MIA for quite sometime.

The last two things that seem absurd to me, but have without a doubt been out of commission for awhile are primetime sitcoms and children's books' stars. Sure we have television dramas...and I enjoy them from time to time.
But what happened to the humor of America? There are no sitcoms anymore! The ones we do have aren't funny, and are made for a very narrow audience. Where have they gone? Where are Friends? Where is Seinfeld? Have they been swallowed by what was once called Reality TV and is now simply just...TV?


And let us not forget about Harry Potter and Edward Cullen. Of course there are still children's book characters. But I miss characters like the Hardy Boys, or the Box Car Children, or best of all, Clifford the big red dog! Where are they?

Now, don't misunderstand me...all of these things that have gone missing are not necessarily things that I think we need. But c'mon...how does JC Chavez have more lasting power than Clifford? It just doesn't make sense.

6 comments:

katie henbest said...

my family goes to Mo's every time toooo Jeffy! awww.

J said...

Jeff, Rachel just moved in this last week and she has Dawson's Creek seasons 1-6. Are you kidding me? I'm already halfway through season 1. I never really watched them during high school. It was immediately apparent how ridiculous it is. Is anyone else aware of the ridiculous vocabulary those 15-16 year olds had? Oh, Capeside. Oh, married to Tom Cruise.

J said...

Oh! And flannel boards to add to your list. I'm bringing those back.

i am Ryan said...

My family also has logged many meals at Mo's. Good memories.

Anonymous said...

I LOOOOOVED Box Car Children!!! I had forgotten all about those books!

Anonymous said...

I LOOOOOVED Box Car Children!!! I had forgotten all about those books!