Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Week in the Ghetto


For those of you that don't know...Tacoma, Washington is the ghetto of the Puget Sound. It is crazy ghetto. Now, I understand that many people have taken this term "ghetto" and applied it to various meanings. When I use the term, I mean it plain and simple...the projects. Granted, these are nothing like South Central folks, but there is shadiness around every corner. I have been working at our company's stores in the Tacoma Mall for just over a week. In general, people steal from all retail stores more than they should. But in Tacoma...it happens more than not. Crazy, I know. After a week there, I was ready to return to my spoiled kids' store in Olympia. Good experience, and fun to be in a high volume store...but it was kind of like a toddler, testing his/her parents to see how much they can get away with. That is the comparison of not only the shoppers, but the workers as well. Back in Oly, we have recovered from holiday, and are ready to start perfecting the store again.

I can't believe that I've been back in Washington for almost six months now. It really is true mom and dad, time does fly by faster as you get older. Not a lot of anything has changed. I'm working. Sleeping. And occasionally eating. I wouldn't say that this is a bad season of my life, but I will be forth-coming and let you know its definitely a desert season for me. It feels like I'm just kinda wandering. Searching. And obviously in doing so, there's a lot of realization and growth that takes place. Marc and I were just talking the other night about our past life in Ada County. It would be naive to think that we would always live across the street from our friends, and have great jobs, and live in a desired community for the rest of our lives. Man, we basically just had it too good...right out of college. My dad told me that I would regret moving into a brand new home with brand new furniture right out of college because it'd probably go down hill from there. I took that to be very negative thinking at the time...but he has proven to be right. My great job...gone. My great house(s)...gone. My possessions...everywhere. And now, I'm living in Olympia, in a small, trashy apartment with not one picture hung on the wall. I have returned to college. I believe for better days. I hope that direction comes soon. Its so crazy how security is blinding. And now...we'll see where I end up. In spite of everything...I really do have this sense of temporary status. God will move me. I think that I get through each day becase I know that this situation is temporary. I don't mean that to sound as though each day is so tough, and hard to even survive. But I can't remember the last time I had a blissful, annointed day. That's a little daunting. Perhaps one is right around the corner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This proves my point... you need to come visit! If only just to have a "blissful and anointed" weekend with your friends here!

J said...

Jeff you are right...God has promised you an abundant life and a living hope. I have recognized that my idea of an abundant life is so crazy and limiting of what God actually has for me. And sometimes, getting there is in smaller steps that we'd like and more time than we expect. Jake recently told me how in viewing life he's concentrating on where he's standing rather than gazing at the horizon. Good analogy. I'm glad you laughed at my wet-face kid because I was hysterical that day after she left!!!