Thursday, January 29, 2009

Flurp?

Has anyone heard of "flurping"? My co-worker Megan told us the following story the other day:

"I didn't have lockers in grade school. We had cubbies. I remember when I was in Kindergarten, I went to get something out of my cubby, and I flurped. Then when I went to stand up, I slipped on my flurp because some of it came out of my mouth! It got all over my skirt! Then Miss Bop had to clean it off and help me out."

Now, I understand we all had words we couldn't pronounce as children. And many of us had made up words that we used in common language. In fact, Cool Ric had one of the most priceless stories from his childhood that directly depicts this. When Ric was a young Korean-American child, his family would occasionally partake in a hot dog or two. Because Ric's mom, as precious as she is, couldn't pronounce the word "buns" very well because she still has a fairly thick accent. Young, impressionable Ric then went to a friends birthday party in Junior High! At this bbq, they were having hot dogs and hamburgers, like any normal bbq. There were hamburger buns on the table, but they had yet to bring out the hot dog buns. So Ric proceeds to say, "Hey guys, where are the bonzas?" Everyone looked at him, and were like, what are bonzas? Ric was flabbergasted and didn't know what to say. "You know guys...the bonzas!?!" Turns out, Ric knew that hamburger buns were buns, but thought that hot dog buns were called bonzas! Haha!

Well, evidentally, Megan (the above mentioned co-worker) has always heard the term "flurp". She says it so matter-of-fact; like we should all know what she's talking about. She explains it as a small burp, when a little bit of throw up comes up the throat. I don't know if this is a common word and I've been left out of the loop or what. Any idea?

1 comment:

J said...

This is like when I thought "templa" was just another English word for "stir". My friends looked at me like I was a crazy person. Then I found out later from my folks that "templa" was indeed, Tagalog. I felt pretty silly. I've never heard of the word "flurp" though just the sound makes me want to gag a little bit.