Friday, April 4, 2008

The Evolution of Language


The return of leggings, flannels, and aviator sunglasses have proved to be a fairly smooth transition into the re-birth of what some might consider "fashion". But isn't it strange how things come in and out of style? If you ponder about it too much, it kinda makes you feel like the most un-original person ever. In fact, it makes me feel like there is no hope in finding something totally new. Music, clothing, movies...it's all recycled.

Language is one thing that I think might be the exception. The other night I was sitting with my roommates watching the fantastic HBO show, "The Tudors". I started thinking...can you imagine if we still talked in that sort of manner? In that style? It was so formal and proper. And as far as I can tell, very few aspects of language are recycled...many sustain their spot in language, but few leave and come back. The term "peace" might be one word we see that resurfaces from time to time as a "cool" slang. But what about our grandparents..."whipper-snappers" or "golly"...or our parents, "geesh" or "in a jiffy" or "put 'er there"? In ten years from now, will it be weird to hear people say things like "take it easy" or "what up"? I think that language is fascinating...and I wonder what other phrases can seep through the tyranical ever-judging abyss of time.

3 comments:

katie henbest said...

wow...serious. will "cool" always be a hip word? or even "hip" for that matter? or "pooky?"....i think that one is an NNU original so let's say ya.

i am Ryan said...

jeff, I think your blog is my favourite. your little insights are great.

and I think that language will not repeat itself. Ryan Cork tried to bring back some words my freshman year, like "cock" for cool from the forties. as in "man, that movie was cock". needless to say it didn't work.

that girl, alina said...

in a jiffy... heheh. nice. yes... HI.