Thursday, April 3, 2008

Spare Change

Isn't it ironic that some people are deathly afraid of change and might search their entire lives for a plateau of comfortability; where some people feel off balance without a little variety and change in their lives? I often wonder if change bothers people because it is not a controlled scenario. If I choose to change a situation, I of course feel completely satisfied with the change, but the others that my decision effects might not feel this way. It really is a paradox.

I personally attributed much of my need for change to my childhood. I grew up moving year after year, making new friends each grade, and settling in to a temporary bedroom. I figured this is why I want change...I want anything other than a mundane-life. But I am beginning to wonder, can I spare to not have change? I love changing jobs...houses...careers. How is this going to help/hinder my future? I know that I'm not afraid of commitment, but I am afraid of boringness.

To change, or not to change? Is there a better perspective, or must we surrender to the idea that life is a process...change is necessary.

2 comments:

i am Ryan said...

I feel the same way Jeff. though I'm not sure why. I didn't move or anything. I just get restless. Physically, emotionally, mentally. I can't even sit in the same chair for more than an hour or so without going crazy. I told one of my roommates that if I had to describe myself in one word it would be restless. I just can never get comfortable with where I am.

Kyle Rooks said...

hmmm....yup i hear ya. I am always wanting bigger and better but when do we realize that we need to settle. I know that this is a word we shouldnt use....and yeah we should always better ourselves. But Im talking about our surroundings....maybe Boise is the pinicle of your life right now....hahahahahaha.