Friday, April 25, 2008

It takes two to tango, but I'd settle for too many cooks...


I could be completely wrong here, but it seems to me that most everyone I've ever talked to about this subject agress...if there are only two people dining together...sit across from each other. And yet, it seems like I can't go out to eat without seeing a couple hip-to-hip. Number one, this makes for conversing with each other to be an awkward task. You have your food in front of you, but you want to turn and talk to the person next to you. I think that you sit next to each other when little conversing is expected (i.e. rollercoaster, movie theatre). The only time that you sit next to each other and are still supposed to talk is in the car. Two rules of social dating and pda...don't sit on the same side of the table and don't walk one in front of the other with hands intertwined (aka junior high walk)...it just makes everyone uncomfortable.

But aside from those that intentionally sit in this socially taboo position, how about the people that don't want to do so? For instance, Kyle, Cortney, and I were all dining at the Macaroni Grill last weekend. I got up to go the bathroom and when I came back...there they were, snuggled up next to each other on one side of the booth. It was quite comical to me because there were no intentions, and yet anyone that walked by them during that period of time judged them deeply for sitting as they did. All in all, I think its hilarious. I was literally laughing out loud when I returned to the table. I think I might purposefully try and desert people in this position whenever I see the chance.

I enjoy making people feel awkward, and if you are intentionally breaking the two rules of pda to make others feel awkward...then break away like a gym teacher's swishy pants.

3 comments:

katie henbest said...

funny man.

or, the "Grangeville"...pickup, man driving, woman in the middle, no one on the other side. you might remember this from Pomeroy as well.

.:meagan.rae:. said...

haha this is perfect. Krystal and i like to call those of this phenomenon "Side sitters" and it's true. It is completely awkward.

T. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.